Under the LUC's rules, the executive officer is appointed by the LUC to serve as the administrative head of the commission staff. His duties and responsibilities are prescribed by the LUC, which include:
- preparing a hearings calendar and the agenda for all meetings, under the direction of the chairperson
- certifying all decisions and orders and other actions of the commission
- making available public information and copies of public records
- acting as a hearings office when appointed by the commission
- interpreting land use district boundaries at the request of the public
- conducting the prehearing conferences provided under HAR section 15-15-57
- receiving and reviewing boundary amendment petitions for completeness
Mr. Davidson will move from his present position as Executive Officer of the Hawaii Housing Finance & Development Corporation. The PBN reports that Mr. Davidson began his career as an attorney in private practice, served as a deputy corporation counsel for the City and County of Honolulu, was deputy land director for the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, and was the executive director of the Land Use Research Foundation.
Although the LUC has not officially announced the appointment, the PBN reports that Mr. Davidson will start on May 16, 2008.